Do we really need to filter tap water?
Everyone should realize the benefits of drinking filtered water and sharing it with close people. To spread the word about the many different benefits of drinking filtered water, you should read the following educational guide to be knowledgeable, happy, healthy, and lead an environmentally friendly life.
Drinking water comes in different forms, each of which comes with hype: tap, bottled, alkaline, and distilled, among others. Therefore, it can be confusing for regular users. However, they need not worry as they can get help from the following article. Here are the best reasons to choose filtered water:
Common elements removed by filtration
Arsenic – A powerful carcinogen, which has been associated with an increased risk of different types of cancer, can sometimes be present in tap water.
Aluminum – Unfiltered municipal water can increase aluminum consumption. This metal has been associated with Alzheimer’s disease, learning disabilities in children, hyperactivity, skin problems, and liver disease, to name a few.
Disinfection By-Products – Harmful elements like DBPs are caused by disinfection of water with a powerful carcinogen like chlorine.
Fluoride – Fluoride is linked to improving oral health, but it can actually cause a number of different health conditions, such as a weaker immune system, as well as cell damage that accelerates aging.
About bottled water
Some may be surprised to learn that 40% of bottled water actually contains tap water. Apart from this unknown fact, there are other different risks related to drinking bottled water:
The jars in the bottles are made with a chemical known as bisphenol A (BPA). This is a synthetic hormone disruptor, which has been linked to several health problems:
- behavioral and learning disabilities
- breast and prostate cancer
- impaired immune system function
- early puberty in men and women
- breast and prostate cancer
Although bottled water is the fastest growing part of the entire beverage industry, it is also considered one of the most polluting. The awareness that bottled water is rarely of high quality compared to tap water has taken the environmental aspect of the industry to new levels.
When people filter their water at home, they will do their part to help the environment and avoid the following:
The process of degradation of a large amount of plastic that can take a minimum of 300 years;
Produce a plastic bottle that requires three times more water than filling it;
Oil is needed to recycle plastic water bottles, in addition to the transportation costs involved in the recycling process.
10 reasons why water should be filtered
- Drinking water is essential for overall health.
- It costs less than bottled water.
- It is healthier to drink filtered water than alkaline, distilled and vitamin waters.
- It tastes better than tap water.
- Protects from disease and improves overall health.
- Eliminates cryptosporidium and giardia, reducing the risk of gastrointestinal diseases by more than 30%.
- It is essential for the development of the immune system of children.
- Water filters defend the body from more than 2,000 known toxins that are unlikely to be removed by municipalities.
- It is more environmentally friendly than bottled water.
- Improves skin hydration.