Selection criteria: example of how to meet the selection criteria to get a job in the government
When you’re writing an application, use actual workplace examples to show how you meet the criteria. Here’s a real-world example that gave the applicant her dream job:
Job title: Administrative Officer (AO2)
Vacancy Reference Number: 000000
Name: SALLY SAMPLE
Address: PO Box 000
The Gap Qld 4061
Telephone: 00 – 0000 0000 (Home)
0000 000 000 (mobile)
Email: To be completed by the applicant
Administrative Officer (AO2) VRN: 000000
Selection criteria – 1
Demonstrated administrative, keyboard and word processing skills, including Microsoft Office and the ability to operate independently and / or with limited supervision.
1. In my current and former roles, I have operated independently and have demonstrated proficiency in administration, typing, and word processing. In my position at Victorian Health, I respite at two different locations and work independently at both locations. In my role with the Australian Defense Forces, I supervised 15 staff members.
• In my current position as Administrative Assistant at Victorian Health and in my previous position as Office Manager for Secureit Security Systems, my administrative skills are evidenced by the following:
o Carrying out tasks of reception and response to telephone and counter inquiries and complaints; transfer incoming calls to six different extensions
o Arrange appointments for staff and perform public relations tasks
o Prepare general correspondence and write memos and emails for staff
o Sorting, opening and processing of incoming and outgoing mail
o Operate computers, printers, photocopiers, fax machines, etc.
o Maintain accurate customer databases
o Verify and prepare all accounts for payment and manage petty cash, bank reconciliations and monthly expenses
o Process daily billing and work within established budgets
o Maintain a lost and found registry for Victorian Health
o Order office supplies to ensure adequate levels and order stock, office supplies and consumables through SAP (government purchasing system)
o Get quotes, prepare purchase orders and reimburse monthly expenses
o Successfully configure all office systems and procedures for Secureit Security Systems
• My computer skills are demonstrated through the following:
or typing speed of 70 words per minute
or proficiency in the use of Windows 2000, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and ‘Group Wise’ (VIC health system).
o Basic knowledge of the database management system (SMS) used in Victorian schools for retrieval of information for substitute teachers, details of students, etc.
I gained this knowledge through volunteering at a state elementary school.
• From the examples listed above, I am confident that I have demonstrated my administrative, keyboarding and word processing skills and my ability to set up and maintain efficient office systems while operating independently without supervision.
Sally Sample Selection Criteria Statement Page 1 Administrative Officer (AO2) VRN: 000000
Selection criteria – 2
Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to work with all members of the school community, both individually and as a member of a team.
- My interpersonal and communication skills are demonstrated in my current role as Administration Officer (AO2) for Victoria Health (Bedding Services) where I am the first port of call for all client bedding order inquiries for all Victoria Hospitals, Nursing Homes and Dental Services. Clinics, dental mobile vans and school dental clinics. I handle complaints about supply shortages, quality issues, and late deliveries and can resolve issues quickly by showing empathy, listening to make sure I get all the facts, asking questions to gain an accurate understanding of the issue, and then taking all steps to fix it quickly. . I always follow up to make sure clients are completely satisfied with the result.
- My team skills are demonstrated through respite at two hospital locations, where I have developed strong working relationships with all operational staff, based on mutual respect. I work cooperatively with people from numerous sections of the organization, including the Packing Supervisor, the Transportation Supervisor, and the Sterile Clothing Supervisor to organize changes to standard orders and ensure that we achieve the best possible results for our customers. I have been told that I am very approachable and that I often receive thanks for doing everything possible to help solve day-to-day problems.
- In my role as Office Manager at Secureit Security Systems, I arranged appointments and was the liaison between technical staff and clients regarding appointment changes and special requirements. I also responded to customer inquiries about electronic security issues and resolved any customer issues by striving for a WIN / WIN result.
- I am aware of the need to protect client confidentiality and ensure that all documents are kept in accordance with policies and procedures.
- My referees will confirm that I have a “hands on” approach and that I am always willing to do whatever I can to help other staff get the job done. I believe in supporting each other as members of a happy and productive team.
- From the examples listed above, I believe I have demonstrated my highly developed communication, interpersonal, and team skills.
Sally Sample Selection Criteria Statement Page 2 Administrative Officer (AO2) VRN: 000000
Selection criteria – 3
Ability to quickly understand or learn about Education Queensland administrative policies, practices and procedures used in schools.
1. In current and former positions, I have demonstrated my ability to quickly learn and apply relevant policies, practices, and procedures. Similarly, I am confident that I can quickly gain knowledge of the administrative policies, practices, and procedures used in schools. After doing research on the internet and speaking with Education Queensland staff, I have become familiar with the following documents:
o Manual of the Department of Education (DOEM) that provides administrative guidelines on topics such as security, finances, health, etc.
o School Accounting Manual (SAM) that provides guidelines for purchases, inventory control, inventory control, etc.
o Student manuals that provide procedures relevant to the particular school in relation to uniform requirements, standards of behavior, library loan procedures, clothing store hours of operation, lunchroom, etc.
- In my role at Victoria Health, I have gained insight into contemporary management practices, such as occupational health and safety, equal employment opportunity, and anti-discrimination, through reading the director’s policies. overview, the overview of health and safety in the workplace and the overview of anti-discrimination.
- I have a basic understanding of Private act and its implementation with respect to the confidentiality of information about parents, students and other personnel. In all previous positions, I demonstrated my commitment to maintaining client and staff confidentiality and handled sensitive matters with tact and discretion.
- As the parent of one child at a state elementary school and another at a state high school, I have a good working knowledge of administrative policies, practices, and procedures, including forms for permission to leave school during school hours, ‘late passes ‘, student notification of absences and consent forms for field trips and school camps. I am also familiar with student handbooks that contain school rules, uniform requirements, and behavior requirements, etc. I work cooperatively with the school’s administrative and teaching staff and assist with fundraising activities, packing books, and selling office supplies as needed.
- From the examples above, I believe I have demonstrated my ability to quickly learn about the administrative policies, practices, and procedures used in schools.
Sally Sample Selection Criteria Statement Page 3 Administrative Officer (AO2) VRN: 000000
Sally Sample Selection Criteria Statement Page 4
Selection criteria – 4
Basic understanding of occupational health and safety, equal employment opportunities, and anti-discrimination practices and behaviors applied in a work environment.
- I have a basic understanding of occupational health and safety, equal employment opportunity, and anti-discrimination practices applied in the workplace through previous employment and reading information from the Occupational Safety and Health Division and government departments. relevant. I understand that the Workplace Safety and Health Act places legal responsibility on both employers and employees in the workplace to ensure the health and safety of others. Employers are responsible for providing practical advice on identifying and managing exposure to risk in the workplace, while employees must follow the organization’s policies and procedures for their safety and that of others. I follow all procedures related to correct manual handling techniques, hazard identification and notification, and promoting a safe workplace.
- I also understand that the Equal Employment Opportunity Law provides for the creation of conditions that allow all workers to have the same opportunities to seek and obtain employment and promotion, based on merit. In addition, I understand that employment discrimination occurs when a person is treated less favorably than others because of their gender, marital status, age, race, religion, etc. Sexual harassment is illegal and constitutes a crime under the law. For the past three years, I have helped promote acceptance of cultural differences in schools by regularly sponsoring stay-at-home Japanese students through Queensland International Student Services for periods between two days and 14 days. This provides a wonderful opportunity for families to learn about each other’s cultures.
- In my current role at Victorian Health, I work with a group of people made up of Fijians, Germans, Russians, Malaysians, and New Zealanders. We value cultural diversity, treat each other with mutual respect, and work well as a multicultural team.
- I believe that my responses listed above demonstrate my understanding of occupational health and safety, equal employment opportunity, and anti-discrimination practices and behaviors applied in a work environment. I understand that this request will be considered in relation to EEO principles and will be based solely on merit.
- My application for an eligibility card from the Commission for Children and Youth is currently being processed.
- In my role with the Australian Defense Forces, I have attended numerous CPR and First Aid training courses and am willing to undertake the required training to update these qualifications as required.