A Complete Guide for the Akita Shepherd
In this article, we will provide many interesting facts about the very popular Akita Sheepdog.
- This type of dog is not actually a pure breed, but rather a mix between the Akita and the German Shepherd.
- During WWII and just after many breeders in America realized that there was a severe shortage of Akitas living in the United States. However, many expert breeders found the purebred to be prone to aggressive behaviors so they mixed the breed with the German Shepherd.
- Mongrels make excellent watchdogs and are also considered good family pets.
- Mixed race is also less likely to suffer from health problems; in fact, they are one of the best breeds to own if you are looking for cheap vet bills. The only health problem they may be more prone to is hip dysplasia.
- This breed is not the best to have if you are prone to allergies, as they are prone to excessive shedding.
- The hybrid closely resembles the purebreds, that is, they both have thick and heavy fur.
- Breeders do not recommend a purebred Akita Inu around children as they can be prone to aggressive behavior, especially if pushed and pricked.
- The average price of an Akita Shepherd can vary, but expect to pay anywhere from $ 250 to $ 1,000.
- The mixed breed is also known as Skepkita.
- Hybrids are very intelligent and can weigh between sixty and one hundred pounds.